Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Childhood Trance

Ever since I was a kid, the t.v. was something that occupied me. When I didn’t know what kind of mood I was in, I let Barney or Lizzie McGuire take over my brain. Within that 30 minute time warp, a barely covered Britney Spears or glamorous Barbie would pop up. Being a 5 year old girl, you want to be like the prettiest older girl you see. And instantly they are your role model. I wanted to dress in belly shirts and wear pounds of bright pink lipstick. I didn’t think twice of how intelligent they were. Then a hulk commercial would come on, showing a big strong violent man. I remember one day going back to kindergarten and a boy telling me I couldn’t play with his cars because I was supposed to cook. Why is the media turning innocent children into stereotypical beasts?  Before I would never see a little girl in a mini skirt or eyeshadow. But with the Bratz movies girls are acting like 20 year olds. It used to be a good thing for little kids to look up to older ones, but those were their parents who set a good example not a trashy one. With a click of the power button 1 minute is taking over a childhood girls think its cool to be barely covered and boys as young as 3 are watching people get sawed in have. Kids should be exposed to age appropriate stuff not things that make them act 25.